After posting this Instagram picture, we received some inquiries for the Carrot Ginger Soup recipe I made that evening. It is a revised version of a recipe from Gwyneth Paltrow’s new cookbook, It’s All Easy. Both Mike and I make recipes our own, and that is what I did for Paltrow’s delicious soup recipe! It makes for a cozy meal. I paired this with maple glazed sea bass, warm garlic Tuscan bread, and a large glass of Riesling. Mike loved it, and I hope you will too!
Carrot Ginger Soup
For a printable version of this recipe, click here.
2 tablespoons good quality olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 shallots, roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 pound carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
3 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
black pepper, freshly ground
1/2 cup heavy cream
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Add shallots and a pinch of salt, mix.
- Cover the pot and sauté over low heat until shallot is very soft, about ten minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger, sauté for one minute.
- Add cumin, garam masala, and ground coriander, sauté for another minute.
- Add carrots, stock, and big pinch of salt.
- Bring mixture to a boil, turn down heat and simmer until carrots are tender, about twenty minutes.
- Working in batches, blend soup in a high-speed blender. Return soup to pot.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Slowly drizzle heavy cream into soup, mix until well blended.