Traveling internationally with a baby is all about preparation! This coming month we leave for Italy and we cannot wait to show Peter the beauties of Bella Italia! We compiled a packing list for him and wanted to share a few essential items from our list with you. If you are interested in taking a closer look at an item, click the numbers in my descriptions below!
1. Rain Coat: We have been on the hunt for a little raincoat for Peter for the past few months. We saw a Columbia rain coat like this one during our trip to Vermont, but I wanted to see if we could find one at a cheaper price. I was so happy when I found this red one – it has great reviews and is on sale! July is known for its heat in Italy, so I wanted something that is light and airy – yet offers great protection from the rain.
2. Gelato Swim Trunks: Okay…so I know these aren’t quite “essential”, but I couldn’t resist them! How adorable are they? Peter loves the water, and though we don’t have an official beach day planned, I want to pack these just in case we end up near water (we usually do!).
3. Sleeveless Bodysuits: A few weeks ago, we purchased these bodysuits at H&M. Not only does he look so good in them, but they keep him cool. What is better than a baby in a white (sleeveless) onesie? We are packing about four or five of these to have on hand for hot days.
4. Stroller: We were debating on whether or not to even bring a stroller (we LOVE carrying and wearing Peter), but after talking to more experienced travelers, we have decided to bring one with us. We really took the time to research which stroller would be best for our trip – one that is lightweight, compact, smooth, and strong enough to withstand the old cobblestone streets. So far this is our favorite one! We are ordering it, trying it out, and will let you know if we like it! It was a difficult decision because it is an investment piece, and the next stroller we were planning to get is a double one for the next baby. A double stroller for this trip is a bit impractical, so we really took the time to research and invest in a stroller that we can use for future trips.
5. Sun Hat: Peter has a few cotton sun hats, but this straw one is a nice alternative to have for the trip. It will be light and cool for the hot days ahead!
6. Toy Camera: We are being very selective and intentional as to what toys we bring for Peter on this trip. We are only bringing a few small ones because we truly believe simplicity is key when traveling! Peter is at the age where he loves to imitate us and I know we will be taking pictures on this trip, so we got this little toy camera for him.
7. Sunscreen: Being an oncology nurse, I am crazy about sun protection! This is one of the safest ones out there for children. We really love Babyganics, especially their sunscreen. The compact size of this on-the-go container is perfect for travel!
8. Baby Carrier: In addition to a stroller, we are packing our Ergo baby carrier. We have found that with Peter’s weight, length (he is two inches away from the average three year old!), and the amount of walking we will be doing, the Ergo Four Position 360 Carrier will give us the best support. We will wear him through airport security and as much as possible throughout the trip. We are huge supporters of baby wearing, as it has brought us all incredible joy this past year!
9. Bibs: Gelato, spaghetti, pizza, sauce…need I say more?
10. Chino Shorts: I love these shorts because they are soft, inexpensive, and will go well with all the tops we are bringing for him. They can be dressed up, or paired with his little sleeveless bodysuit to keep him cool in the heat.
11. Sandals: It is difficult for me to trust shoe reviews for babies because I feel when parents write them they are often based on aesthetics versus comfort. I truly look forward to the day when Peter can tell me if something is comfortable for him or not! I am so sensitive to clothing materials and I always look for the softest, most comfortable clothing and shoe items for Peter. A few weeks ago I spent an afternoon looking for shoes for Peter and these are the softest and most supportive I was able to find! If you know of any better ones, please let us know!
12. Nursing Cover: This multi-functional baby cover goes with us everywhere! It is one of our most-used baby items. It is ideal for covering us up while nursing, covering up shopping carts while on errands, covering up highchairs when eating out, and covering Peter in the car seat when he is asleep or needs protection from the elements! I even use it as a blanket! It’s another barrier of protection for him from germs, the sun, the cold, and the rain.