My mother is the best baker I know. I love walking into the kitchen and seeing her recipe book on the counter, surrounded with flour, sugar, and spices. One of my favorite desserts she makes is her apple pie, it has always been my favorite! I was so excited to see that it was on the Thanksgiving Menu this year.
We wanted to share this special family recipe with you! We hope you enjoy it! Happy Thanksgiving!
Mom’s Apple Pie
For a printable version of this recipe, click here.
For The Pie Crust
2 cups flour
2/3 cup and 1 tablespoon butter flavored Crisco
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup cold water, or more as needed
For The Pie Filling
about ten medium apples or enough to fill but not mounding pie plate, peeled and thinly sliced (Mom uses a mix of Cortland and Empire)
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons butter, cut into cubes
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, with oven rack in middle.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, Crisco, salt, and sugar.
- Using a knife and then your hands, mix ingredients until completely combined.
- Slowly add cold water until ball forms. Dough ball should be soft, but not sticky.
- Cut dough ball in half.
- Flour your surface and rolling pin.
- Take half of dough ball and roll out to about 1/8-inch thick. Transfer it to a 9″ pie plate, and trim the edge so there is only 1/2-inch of overhang all around.
- Fill pie plate with apples.
- Sprinkle flour, sugar, butter, and apple pie spice onto apples.
- Lift and gently shake pie plate to distribute ingredients. Gently set pie plate back onto surface.
- Roll out top crust on floured surface. Slit pie openings. Place over filling.
- Press the top crust to the bottom crust gently to seal, then trim the excess top crust away, leaving just 1/2-inch overhang all around. Tuck the overhang under itself, making a thicker edge around the pie plate. Use your fingers and crimp the edges to seal.
- Bake pie at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for fifteen minutes.
- After fifteen minutes, turn down temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and cook for another 35 minutes, or until golden-brown.